Sugar, As humans we are geared to crave two tastes: 1. Salt 2. Sugar
We have a deep craving for sugar because our ancient ancestors looked for it for energy from natural fruits and berries. Nowadays we have access to so much sugar, and we are eating more and more sugar than every before.
Here are some simple facts:
1. Americans now consume on average 1070 grams of sugar every week. This is the equivalent to 24 cans of soda each week.
2. In 1822, an average American only consumed 63 grams of sugar every week. That means we are eating 17 times more sugar now!!!
3. Americans consume 130 pounds of sugar every year. With this amount, the average person will consume 2 tons of sugar in their lifetime!
4. This sugar is coming both in the form of refined sugar in our diet and also hidden in certain foods.
5. We have learned through research that sugar is more addictive than heroin. It has a drastic effect on dopamine receptors in our brain. This leads to becoming dependent on it and cravings.
In this podcast, Dr. Meaghan and Wendy will talk about these crazy facts and the effect of sugar on us and our diet.
Sign up for Updates!
Beyond The Basics Health Academy is a cutting edge online university on teaching you about the most important thing..YOU!